Girls Gymnastics COVID-19 Policy
Wilton Public Schools (WPS) is following the very lengthy and extensive health and safety guidelines shared by the CSDE and sent to families. Wilton Continuing Education (WCE) will be following these guidelines. Please continue to review all updated information from the District. Click here for some helpful CSDE information.
- Only pre-registered students will be allowed to participate in the Girls Gymnastics programs.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided on arrival, during the class and again as the students depart.
- Students will be required to wear masks at arrival and at dismissal. Please include an extra mask or two in your student’s backpack.
- The WCE instructor will model and practice protocols for hand sanitizing, social distancing, and mask wearing.
- The WCE instructor will be required to wear a mask during classes. Students will not be required to wear a mask during classes, however it is required that social distancing will occur and a spacing of at least 6 ft will be maintained between participants. In any instance where social distancing rules cannot be adhered to, a mask will be required of those students.
- Students will maintain social distancing expectations when at all possible.
- The WCE instructor and students will remain within the same group during each class.
- Parents must ensure they will be reachable for the duration of the class in case the student is deemed a health risk to others.
- A staggered arrival will occur from classrooms to the Girls Gymnastics Program.
- A staggered arrival will occur from home to the Girls Gymnastics Program.
- All students will be signed in by the WCE instructor.
- At the completion of the Girls Gymnastics class, the WCE instructor and students will quickly assemble their belongings and exit the auxiliary gym.
- The WCE instructor will confirm that no equipment, clothing, miscellaneous items have been left behind.
- The WCE instructor and students must social distance and wear face coverings.
- Parents are instructed that pick-up will be staggered and will occur outside of the building.
- All parents/guardians must social distance and wear face coverings on school grounds.
- Parents/guardians will be notified of their pick-up location and remain outside the building.
- All students will be signed out by the WCE Instructor.
- Socializing and lingering will not be allowed after class.
- Wilton High School exterior door near Auxiliary Gym
- Wilton High School, Auxiliary Gym
- Wilton High School, Isolation Room 104
- 4 high and low balance beams, 1 uneven bars, 1 vault, 1 Tumbl Trac, 2 floor mats
- Students should bring 1 or 2, full and labeled water bottles.
INSTRUCTOR PROTOCOLS and PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE) POLICY
- Only the Wilton Continuing Education sanctioned instructor will be employed in the Girls Gymnastics Program(s). The WCE instructor will abide by and implement the COVID-19 policies, and create an environment that fosters both safety and learning.
- The WCE Instructor will self-monitor daily and confirm they are not exhibiting signs or symptoms of illness.
- Any instructor exhibiting signs of mild to severe respiratory illness with fever, cough and difficulty breathing, or other symptoms identified by the CDC will leave the program. An Illness Report will be completed by the nurse on call.
- The WCE Instructor will model and practice protocols for hand sanitizing, social distancing, and mask wearing.
- WPS will follow the DPH guidelines for cleaning and disinfecting rooms and bathrooms.
- The WCE instructor will follow DPH guidelines for cleaning & disinfecting gymnastics equipment for fifteen (15) minutes in between classes.
- High touch surfaces, including tables, chairs, door handles will be routinely sanitized by WPS custodians.
- One girls bathroom near the auxiliary gym will be assigned for girls gymnastics students, and will be cleaned by WPS custodial staff in accordance with the Department of Public Health guidelines.
- WCE will limit the number of students using bathrooms per the occupancy signs posted.
- WPS custodial staff will perform cleaning and disinfecting routinely using the proper PPE.
Public Health Screening Questionnaire
The WCE instructor will observe students for symptoms associated with COVID 19 outlined by public health officials.
- Students will have their own area to leave their personal belongings. This will be 6 ft apart from the next.
- The WCE instructor and students will not congregate before, during or after the program.
- Makeup classes will be added to the end of the program due to inclement weather or other circumstances.
- Students will be 6 ft apart when using all gymnastics equipment.
- Students will use hand sanitizer upon arrival, in between use of equipment, and at dismissal.
- The masked WCE instructor will be teaching 6 ft apart from each student.
- Students will stretch/warmup on the floor 6 ft apart with masks on.
- A rotating equipment schedule will be prepared for the entire 6 session group of classes.
- Each student will be assigned to 1 or 2 equipment stations per class.
- Each student will be assigned and rotated to only 1 or 2 pieces of equipment for the duration of the class.
- Beginner, Level I, and Level II students will utilize the beams, low bar, Tumbl Trac, and floor mats.
- Intermediate and High School students will utilize the beams, uneven bars, Tumbl Trac, floor mats, and vault.
- Students will use hand sanitizer before and after equipment use.
- Students will take their water bottles to each station.
- Upon the completion of class, each station will be cleaned and disinfected and remain vacant until the next class arrives which will be 15 minutes later.
Governor Lamont’s Executive Order 7Q mandates that staff or children with a temperature of 100.4°f or greater stay home.
The below procedure will be followed if an instructor or student becomes ill or develops COVID-19 symptoms during the Girls Gymnastics Program(s):
- The WCE instructor will immediately leave the program.
- The student will be immediately escorted to the designated isolation area, Room 104, where the student will be assessed by the nurse on call. The parent/guardian will be notified by a WCE staff member that an immediate pickup after assessment is required. A WCE staff member will remain with the student until the parent/guardian arrives.
- The WCE staff member will have extra masks, gloves, hand sanitizer and wipes as part of our first aid kit.
- The nurse on call will complete an Illness Report Form, which will be submitted immediately to the WCE Coordinator & Assistant Coordinator.
- The WCE Coordinator/Assistant Coordinator will notify Human Resources, the school Principal of a potential illness. The Wilton Health Dept./Director of Health will be contacted immediately for any positive/presumed positive/exposure to COVID-19 event. Communication, advanced cleaning and disinfecting protocols will then be followed.
- Decisions regarding closure due to potential exposure will be made on a case by case basis in consultation with the Wilton Health Department/Director of Health, the Superintendent of Schools, and Human Resources.
- The WCE instructor or students who have signs or symptoms of COVID-19 may not return to the program without a note from a healthcare provider clearing them to safely return and in consultation with the Department of Health/Health Director.
- Positive COVID-19 cases will be reported to Human Resources, and the school Principal. Human Resources will report all positive COVID-19 cases to the Director of Health.
- All Girls Gymnastics Program families and the WCE instructor will be notified of any closure/update by WCE Director Dolores Tufariello working in consultation with the Superintendent of Schools and the Office of Human Resources.
- Nurses will be on call during and after school hours.
Students (parents) and WCE instructors alike will be required to complete the Informed Consent form prior to the beginning of the session. Attendance will not be authorized without completion of the informed consent form. This form requires that attendees and staff are aware of the various risks COVID-19 poses. The exact verbiage is listed below.
I hereby attest that I have been informed of the following pertaining to the Coronavirus:
People who are 65 years or older and people who have serious underlying medical conditions or are at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19 are recommended to stay at home. A list of medical conditions associated with a higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19 can be found in CDC’s guidance. Individuals and families should consult their healthcare provider to determine whether they have medical conditions that place them at risk.
WCE instructors and children living in households with individuals who are 65 years and older OR have higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19 are recommended to stay home.
This includes chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma, serious heart conditions, immunocompromised (cancer treatment, smoking, bone marrow or organ transplantation, immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS, and prolonged use of corticosteroids and other immune weakening medications), severe obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 40 or higher), diabetes, chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis and liver disease. Individuals should consult their healthcare provider to determine whether they have medical conditions that place them at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
Signature of Parent/Guardian Printed Name of Student
2020-21 WCE GIRLS GYMNASTICS PROGRAM ILLNESS REPORT FORM
Date/Time of Reporting:__________________
Name of Student:__________________
Date/Time of Suspected Illness:___________
Dismissal from Program: Self Pick up EMS (circle one)
List Name(s):_____________________________ Phone: ______________
Destination: Home Hospital Urgent Care Dr. Office (circle one)
List Location(s): ___________________________
Date Last Attended WCE Girls Gymnastics Program:______
Illness: Suspected Confirmed (circle one)